Prattvillage gardens are the education and demonstration gardens for the Master Gardeners.
The garden is located in the first block of First Street in historic downtown Prattville.
c. 1845 The Little Chapel was given to Old Prattvillage by the Wendland family who own the farm where it was discovered. It may be the Episcopal Church mentioned by Shadrack Mims in his History of Autauga County. It has Gothic doors and windows. The gardens are maintained by Autauga County Master Gardeners.
Open the gate and come on in! Prattvillage Garden was developed in 1995 by the Autauga County Master Gardeners Association as a place of beauty and respite for the community to visit and enjoy. It is used as a teaching garden and as the location of our annual spring plant sale. The circa 1840s chapel is the cornerstone of the garden and is one of the most photographed buildings in the county.
The Plants of Prattvillage Gardens
The focus of the garden is period-appropriate, enhancing the primitive Gothic-style chapel. It is also beautiful and educational, even providing a habitat for local wildlife. The herb garden is the only section of the garden true to the original design. The quadrants contain herbs for medicinal, culinary, tea and miscellaneous purposes. The edging for the herb garden is historical in its own right, as the rocks were used for ballast on the barges moving up and down the Alabama River.
Other planted beds include a blend of hardy perennials, native plants, nectar sources and host plants for pollinators, annuals, shrubs, and trees that will flourish in the area. The plants were chosen because they would have been grown in the era of the chapel. They are tried and true!
The chapel is circa 1845 and was located on the homestead of Thomas L. Faulkner where it was probably used as a family chapel. Reports show that it had several additional uses before finally being used as a residence for workers on what is now Wendland Farms. It was ‘rediscovered’ by a couple of plant rustlers looking for old plant specimens.
The Wendland family donated the chapel to Prattvillage Associates in 1992. It was moved approximately 15 miles east on Highway 14 to its current location in Prattvillage Garden. It is now the cornerstone of the garden and is the backdrop for many weddings and celebrations.
Even though the garden is privately owned, it is open to the public for enjoyment from dawn to dusk every day. Reserve the garden for weddings, photography sessions, and other small events for a nominal donation. To reserve the garden, please call 334-365-7806.