Sweet Pickled Peppers
Recipe yields: 8 – 16 ounce jars
These Pickled Peppers are amazing on sandwiches, steak and cheese subs, and in salads.
- 1 tablespoon pickling or kosher salt
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 8-10 cloves garlic smashed
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 ½ to 5 pounds red, green, orange peppers sliced ¼-inch
- 1 large onion halved and sliced thinly
- In a large pot, make the brine: add salt, cider and white vinegars, water, sugar, garlic, and spices in a large pan and bring to boil.
- Sterilize jars. Place sliced peppers and onions into jars and press to compact. Make sure you have plenty in each jar, as they will rise during the processing.
- Use a wide-mouth funnel, ladle hot brine over peppers and onions, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the rim clean with damp paper towel. Apply lid/band until the fit is fingertip tight.
- Cool on counter 24 hours. For best flavor, let sit for 3 to 4 weeks. Store for up to 1 year. After opening, place in refrigerator
Calories: 728kcal | Carbohydrates: 171g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturat Fat: 1g | Sodium: 902mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 162g | Vitamin A: 7995IU | Vitamin C: 328mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg