Try forcing bulbs such as amaryllis, paper whites or tulips as a way to enjoy gardening during the winter. December is a great month for armchair gardening. You can enjoy the seed and perennial catalogs and start planning your spring garden.
- Fruits and Nuts–Plant young pecan and other deciduous fruit trees and grapes. Select budwood. Start dormant pruning of established fruits. Protect all young trees from rabbit damage by placing wire around the base of the tree. Put on dormant oil sprays for scale.
- Shrubs–Planting is still the main activity but delay in case of freezing weather.
- Lawns–Control wild garlic, chickweed, poa annua, dandelion, and other weeds. Read label on each weed control product used.
- Annuals and Perennials–Plant hardy annual seed without delay. Have you tried violas?
- Bulbs–continue spring bulb planting.
- Miscellaneous–Shrubs, trees and indoor plants make excellent gifts.
Source: Alabama Cooperative Extension System
Alabama Gardening Calendar
Photo credit: Pixabay.com