Daffodils, forsythia and flowering quince are among the flowers making an appearance this month.
- Fruits and Nuts–Continue strawberry and grape plantings. Start planting blackberries.
- Bulbs–Plant cannas, amaryllis, gladiolus and zephyranthes in South Alabama; delay planting a few weeks in North Alabama.
- Shrubs–Fertilize shrubs (except azaleas and camellias) according to a soil test. Plant transplants. Watch shrubs for harmful insects.
- Lawns–Fertilize established lawns.
- Roses–Watch new growth for aphids. Begin a spray or dust program. Begin fertilizing.
- Vegetable plants– Plant cabbage, onions, lettuce, broccoli and Brussels sprouts in North Alabama, and plant tomatoes and peppers in lower South Alabama
Source: Alabama Gardener’s Calendar ANR-0047