June is the month to enjoy daylilies, hydrangeas and other perennials and annuals in our flower gardens.
- Fruits and nuts–Continue spray programs. Thin apple and peach trees.
- Shrubs–Fertilize now. Keep long shoots from developing by pinching off tips.
- Annuals and Perennials–Remove old flower heads to promote continued flowering. Watch for insects and diseases.
- Bulbs–Foliage may be removed from spring flowering bulbs if it has yellowed and is becoming dry.
- Vegetable Seed–Plant beans, field peas, pumpkins, squash, corn, cantaloupes and watermelons.
- Vegetable plants–Plant tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and sweet potato vine cuttings.
Source: Alabama Cooperative Extension System ANR-0047